Legal Blog
Feher Law - St. Petersburg Florida

Partition: Can a divorce force you to sell your home?

In a divorce, your home must be dealt with through a process called equitable distribution. In equitable distribution, the house will be awarded to one of the spouses. They transfer the property to you and you pay out your spouse their share of the equity, or vice versa. Alternatively, you could agree to sell the home. In the worst-case scenario, if you cannot agree who gets the home, the court may require the home to be sold through a process called partition. The debts of the marriage will be paid off. If there is any remaining money, it will be split between you and your spouse.

Read More »

We accept credit cards, money orders, and cashier’s checks. For all credit card transactions, pursuant to The Rules Regulating The Florida Bar 4-1.5(h), Feher Law may charge clients the actual charge the credit plan imposes on the lawyer for the client’s transaction.